Monday, February 27, 2012

The Lasts...

We recently got a light dusting of snow.  The girls were so excited and wanted to head outside right away.  It took us an hour to put on all of the snow gear.

Does this look a little familiar?






  Don't you think she sort-of resembles this familiar scene from "A Christmas Story?"



Oh, how I love that movie!

We had a ton of fun.  Lots of laughs, some sledding, and even a snowball fight....all this with less than 1 inch of snow.

We had a little of this......



And a whole lot of this....




It only took us about 5 hours to clean up afterwards.

These moments are fleeting.  I never know when I will see my last snowfall, have my last snowball fight, or get my last hug from my man or one of my girls.

I remember when my oldest daughter was little, she loved the book, "I'll Love You Forever", by Robert Munsch.




You might want to grab a tissue and remember.......

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.



Brings back such sweet, sweet memories.

It was part of our nightly routine to pull the book off of her bookshelf, snuggle up in her glider rocker, and read this book from cover to cover.  We read it over and over and she had every word memorized. 
 
While unpacking some boxes recently, I  found the tattered, torn, and well loved copy of her precious book and I thought to myself, "I wonder when was the last time we read this book together?"  At the time we were reading it, we didn't know it would be the last time.  We did our normal routine, sang the song together, and then placed it back on the bookshelf, waiting for the next time.  But there wasn't a next time.....

Just like a little over a year ago when I gave my Aunt Bev a hug goodbye and said, "See ya later....love you!"  Only there wasn't a next time.  She's been gone for over a year now.  I miss her terribly.  I wish I could relive that last moment with her again.  I would cling to her and never let go. 

We should live our lives like everyday is our last, clinging to every moment that we have with those precious souls that have been given to us....wonderful blessings from the Lord.


“We never know when our last day on earth will be. So, love with full sincerity, believe with true faith, and hope with all of your might. Better to have lived in truth and discovered life, than to have lived half heartedly and died long before you ever ceased breathing. ”

Cristina Marrero



Now if you'll please excuse me, I've got some memories to make.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful and Oh so true. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! This was Matthew and my favorite book, too! We read it over and over, and now that he is a teenager I still read it and I still cry great big tears. And, I always know that "as long as I'm living, my baby he'll be". Makes me want to cry now. Thanks Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I definitely get teary-eyed everytime I read it. Oh how quickly our babies grow!

    ReplyDelete